From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 03:25:44 -0400
I recently had a case very similar to yours and Dr. Maryelle Vonlanthen, a
pediatric gastro enterol was very helpful. It turns out that the child is
not as we first thought, allergic to dairy protein in mother's milk,
although your infant may be. The blood in the stools after ingestion of EBM
is indicative of breastmilk colitis, often caused by dairy. My infant wans't
dairy sensitive...he is , we think, sensitive to the peanuts that the mom
was eating.

Perhaps if the mother takes dairy and peanuts out of her diet, the infant
may tolerate EBM feeds. The child I saw also had diarrhea that was like
water. Dr. Vonlanthen did say that sometimes we do not know what the
offending protein is, and how long it takes to get it out of the mother's
milk. 10 days is a good starting place.

Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader (7 yrs),
Co-Owner Lactnet,  E-Mail = [log in to unmask]
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html