From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:03:53 -0400
My response to this is to tell the mother to ask the pediatrician for
references supporting her  (erroneous) viewpoint. Although I am no expert on
Rotavirus, I believe she hasn't a leg ( or a viral cell) to stand on...and
she had better put her citations where her mouth is.

Kathleen, grumbling at this kind of crapola.

A mom called with a 11 month old diagnosed with Rotavirus by Ped.
Has only had 3 incidences of Diarrhrea,  plus some vomiting.

Ped. requested immediate weaning, stating that the proteins and fats in
breastmilk were incompatible with this virus.   She wants the baby back on
foods before breastmilk is reintroduced.

I've checked the archives and can't find any recommendations for weaning.
Have also checked BAB and Ruth Lawrence (4th Edit).

Any input on why this baby should be weaned?

Mom would also like any references to site for the Ped.

TIA

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
 Emily's Mothering Project- http://together.net/~kbruce/proj.html
For LACTNET quilt raffle: http://together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html