From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 00:58:12 EDT

At the risk of  really beating a dead horse, here's a real life test wt.
situation I've been  involved in over the last couple of days. Baby, full term,
birth wt. 7-12,  first baby, born by vaginal delivery at a different hospital
than the one  where I work. Readmitted to our hospital on day 3 with 10% wt.
loss and  bilirubin of 17. Mother had been exclusively breastfeeding since birth.
 Baby 0+, Coombs negative, no bruising, no other risk factors for  jaundice.
Baby admitted late Saturday and not seen by LC until Monday. Infant  breastfed
every three hours in hospital and then supplemented with formula per  MD
order. Mom and baby were never separated. The baby was readmitted to pedi  and mom
stayed in room with him. No one started mom pumping until she was seen  by LC
on Monday.

Baby 5 days old when I first saw couplet on  Monday AM.  It had been three
hours since baby had fed. Breasts  moderately full, everted, elastic nipples.
Baby latched readily and latch  looked good. Sustained rhythmic suck with bursts
of deep jaw excursions and  intermittent audible swallowing. Each time baby
became sleepy, I helped mom  with breast compression to enhance flow. Test wt.
after 35 minutes (baby now  sleeping and unwilling to bf any more) showed 12
ml intake.  Test wt. was  done on Baby Weigh Scale with conditions the same
before and after feed, e.g.  no diaper or clothing change.  Breasts somewhat
softened at this point. I  advised mom to pump to supply supplement--she did so
with hospital grade pump  and got just enough milk to cover the bottom of the
bottle. Plan:  Breastfeed on cue, but at least every three hours. Use
compression and  massage to stimulate flow. Pump after to fully empty to stimulate
supply.  Oh, and by the way I would have guessed from the way the baby nursed  that
he got much more than 12 ml.

Today, end of day 6.  Bili down, baby ready to go home. Three hr. since last
feeding again. Nobody  was limiting this baby to 3 hr. feeds but that is when
he woke up. Same  scenario, only this feed baby took 15 ml. and mom pumped
about 15 ml right  after.  Estimated milk supply at this point is 8 oz. per
day--low and not  enough for this baby at this point. Mom has no risk factors for
low supply.  Milk is in but quantity is low.  It very likely will increase over
next  week or so. Meanwhile baby will need supplement with pumped milk and or
 formula until supply is sufficient. She has no hx of infertility, has normal
 shaped breasts, good breast growth during pg., no health issues, normal post
 partum bleeding.  Baby has strong coordinated suck on digital exam and no
evidence of oral abnormalities.. My guess is there was poor milk transfer
early on  for whatever reason and this contributed to low supply. And  when bili
was so high baby probably did not breastfeed effectively and no one  started
mom pumping. But it can be difficult to determine what came first the  chicken
or the egg--low supply or poor transfer. And it's still very early.
None-the-less, test weighing certainly helped me to analyze baby's intake and  to
determine mom's supply is somewhat low.  I would not have done a test  wt. on a
normal thriving baby. But--this baby had lost 10% of wt. and had  pathological
jaundice--most likely lack of breastmilk jaundice. Test weighing  did not
discourage this mom. She already knew things were not going well. She  just wanted to
know how to fix it. And importantly for me, test weighing  disputed what I
thought I saw--adequate intake at breast. It also caused me to  explore further
to determine that mom has low supply at this point. Test  weighing and pumping
after helped me to determine that baby is taking most of  what is in the
breast.

So-- sorry for the long discourse,  but I am definitely a fan of judicious
test weighing in the context of a full  breastfeeding evaluation.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC
Mountain  View, CA