From:
Barb Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 22:18:15 -0400
Jenny:

Encourage your mom to continue breastfeeding!!! What will the baby do if
she stops.  It is evident that he doesn't like anything but mom.  My sons
situation was exactly the same as your mom's.  I worked 12 hour shifts and
was away from him for 14 hours 3 days per week.  I knew before I returned
to work that he wouldn't take a bottle.  But every day for 8 hours I worked
with him to take a bottle, which he didn't.  Then every night at 5pm I
would nurse him and he was so relieved.  When I had to return to work at 3
months he was still not taking a bottle, but what could I do?  During that
14 hour period of time he would take 3-4 oz.  When I would come to pick him
up he was so happy to see me he would just cry because he wanted to nurse
right now.  And yes he did nurse ALOT on my days off, but I figured he
deserved it, it wasn't his fault I had to work.  Anyway, at 6 months when I
started the cereal he was much happier, he never took another bottle at
all.  I did find that he took `100% apple juice from a juice box (they have
the small very sturdy straws) really well, and was happy to drink four oz
of the juice and hav esome cereal while he waited for me to come home.  It
was worth all of the sleepless nights.  He is now 2 1/2 yr and tells
me "Mama's milk is the BEST"  Barb, RN, IBCLC mother of 4