Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 21:36:12 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have seen many examples of kids who did not receive any breast milk until they were a year old or more, because they were adopted at an older age, or for a variety of other reasons, where breast milk has made a very definite difference in specific health issues and/or the general health of the child.  Some of the chronic problems that have responded extremely well to even a few ounces of breast milk include severe constipation or diarrhea, upper respiratory infections, and various skin disorders and other infections, the latter of which are very common in toddlers adopted from poorer countries with tropical climates.  

I am sure we have all seen cases where a child upwards of a year old has been weaned and developed some kind of health problem that they hadn't had before.  Maybe some would try to say that the timing was coincidental, but there are also cases where the mother of the child has decided to return to breastfeeding, at the health problem has gone away.  

I have often said that some medical professionals wouldn't admit that the grass was green unless they had a journal article that said so.  I don't think the fact that breast milk is beneficial after a year old is a whole lot less obvious than the color of the grass, really.  

Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2