From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:59:44 -0600
We give moms the option of learning more about returning to work or school
and BF prenatally because 87% of our mothers said it was important to them.
 We added a third hour to our monthly BF class to acommodate their needs,
beginning in January 1998.  We aren't covering just pumps though.  We cover
other options like having the day care provider bring baby to you or going
to baby to nurse when they are at work or in class.  In my community, this
is an option for only a handful of new moms.  We tell them about good and
not so good pumps and everyone in the community that sells them because
most places that sell them basically pass them across the counter in
exchange for money.

IMHO, any anticipitory guidance we can provide them prenatally about how to
meet their individual BF goals is of value.  Mom's are not in a good
position to learn about this upon discharge from the hospital because of
all of the basic things they must master before going home.  We offer PP
follow-up for working on a plan to return to work or school and BF, but
never received many takers, so that's another reason to take the prenatal
route.  On top of that, add the human resources it takes to do an
individual consult vs. a class and maybe the picture might seem clearer,
for those of you who have hospitaladministrators breathing down your neck
about the financial bottom-line.

Some of these moms are barely or are not making financial ends meet and
have to work for whatever reason.  Sure, they are some people who would
prefer to be working moms so they can keep their new care, new house, etc.
Staying at home with a new baby isn't an option for every woman in America
these days-PLEASE be sensitive to this when you are talking to new moms.
In a perfect world, every baby would get milk from the breast, but our
world is far from perfect.  Taking baby steps toward that goal is a little
more realistic.

Still wishing I was at the beach in frigid, ~~~windy Kansas,

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources
Manhattan, KS  USA