From:
Chris Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 09:16:23 -0400
Hi everyone, I posted a few days ago but have no indication of it ever
showing up.  I'll try this one differently.

I just got a call from a mother who moved to Atlanta a week ago.  She was
calling me to give me an update on her sore nipples/recurring mastitis
situation.  The counselor she spoke to in Atlanta told her she couldn't help
her and referred her to an LC.  The LC told her to pour hydrogen peroxide
over her cracked nipple too!  After a couple attempts the mom figured this
couldn't be good for the nipple tissue.  The mother has decided to wean her 5
week old.  She is tired

 of being sick with sore nipples and mastitis.  I talked to her about all of
her options (pumping, nursing on one side until nipple heals, making sure her
antibiotic treatment is sufficiently long and baby isn't passing bacteria
back to her, etc.)  She is still determined to wean.  She admitted that in
addition to the pain and illness she just feels too tied down.  I can't help
but think that she too will regret this decision as she was so enthusiastic
about breastfeeding before her baby was born.  I agreed with her that when
the pain involved with nursing your baby is interfereing with your ability to
show your love to him than it is time to reconsider why you are nursing
anyway.  I told her that I respected her for thinking through all of her
options and making the decision that is right for her and her baby.  She also
realizes that if she changes her mind in a few weeks (after her nipple heals)
that she can re-lactate.  Her main complaing was that there isn't good
information about weaning available in books .