From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:04:43 -0500
Jane mentioned she is taking the plunge into private practice full
time and was asking for input.

Well my practice is now one month old and I have had 10 clients -
two of them actual paying clients!  I think the most important
things I have done are writing report letters to their doctors and
following up with the clients.

Thank you Barbara, Linda J and Allison for your great comments about
the how and why's of writing report letters to doctors.  One doctor
was so impressed by my letter that within 24 hours of getting my
letter she referred another mum with a 6 week old with slow weight
gain instead of advising formula.  Another doctor wants to meet with
me in person to discuss what I can do for his clients.

Following up with my clients is the big thing that has made a
difference in their care I believe.  We do have local bf clinics but
there is a great deal of discrepancy from visit to visit in terms of
knowledge level, understanding and credentials. And they are only
supposed to see clients up to 6 weeks. This lack of continuity of
care has been a major stumbling block for our local bf mums.

My first fear was that I wouldn't have enough work.  Now I am
worried that I will get more than I can handle with a nursing
toddler in tow.
--
Janet Vandenberg, RN, BScN, IBCLC
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada