From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:58:10 EDT
Dear Friends:
       This post reminds me of a mother I worked with who was an accountant.
Hadn't nursed the first baby; really wanted to nurse the second. Called for a
consult because of pain and we set up a care plan, which included fixing the
latch. I write out a care plan for each mom, asking her what she will remember
and writing it in her own words. I also draw a picture of a nice latch,
pointing out the the angle of the corners of the baby's lips, which should be as
close to 140 degrees as possible. I did this for this mother.
       Things got better, but during the telephone follow-ups, the mother
kept complaining about having to take the baby off many times to get the latch
'right'. Meanwhile, baby starting gaining at a great rate, mom wasn't having
pain......yet there was this constant fussing about the latch not being right.
       Turns out that the accountant part of mom was measuring that angle of
the corner of the baby's lips. At best, it was 100. Never the 140 like in the
picture on the care plan. Never mind that it felt fine. Never mind that baby
was now gaining well. This mother, in her style, was focused on that angle,
which had to be correct. She kept un-latching and trying again. It was wonderful
and amazing that baby continued to breastfeed!
       Put this case in with Diane's about hearing the comma in the wrong
place. Our work is a constant effort to have our language and the mother's
language and comprehension be in synchrony.
       warmly,
       Nikki Lee