From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:31:31 -0800
Barbie:  Well, you didn't ask me, but here's what I know about these if
you're interested...

Anisum is just anise= used in respiratory problems; is a relaxing
expectorant, antiseptic & carminative
Foeniculum is Fennel= promotes MER; contains EFAs flavonoids, vits, mins,
and volitile oils, is an expectorant, can be a diuretic.
Urtica dioica= stinging nettle= builds milk supply, lowers blood sugar
levels, is a circ stimulant, diuretic, astringent, tonic;  it contains
histamin, formic acid, acetylcholine, serotonin, glucoquinones, minerals,
vits A, B,C and tannins.

Note that words such as astringent, carminative and tonic have very specific
meanings to herbalists.

Fennel and Stinging Nettle are commonly used in herbal galactogogues, but
anise is probably there as a flavoring.   Some mothers react to stinging
nettle allergically, while others have an improvement in allergy symptoms.
It would be best to try a small amount first (a few sips), as those who
react tend to do so in a violent manner.

My biggest complaint about teas, used very commonly by Traditional Oriental
Medical practitioners, is that the titrations are difficult to control.  The
temp of water, length of steeping, and acidity of water all dramatically
affect the strength of the active ingredients received by the intended
patient.

I hope this helps.
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, educator, lactation consultant, researcher, scientist, author,
organic gardener, photographer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner.