From:
kersula family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:06:03 -0500
I find that I "catch" so much -- guess that's true whether it's from family,
friends, or fellow hcps.  So I schedule my day to be around when the docs
are rounding.  We have had some great discussions about "management" of
breastfeeding (not my favorite term!)  and I have learned a great deal along
the way -- as have the peds.
We are lucky to have three peds who are very, very knowledgeable about
breastfeeding (and therefore very supportive, natch!) and two who mean well
but are still learning..I make sure they get full reports, little teaching
notes and articles, and still have to bite my tongue when I hear what
they've told people, sometimes.
    The best was when one of the less-on docs told me all about a speaker I
ought to go hear -- Maryann Neifert, who she had just heard at an AAP conf.
Another doc sent me all the info and offered to send me to an Aca of Bfdg
Med conf in Boston -- I hugged him.  I had already heard the speakers and
topics that were going to be there, and had something else scheduled that
day, but sure did appreciate the support.
    Just by having the outlook we do -- mom and baby are one -- and writing
our notes the way we do -- mother, infant, feed....--and which chart does
this go in, anyway??-- is a teaching tool.  I've had two offices nurses tell
me, "I learn so much from reading your notes!  I can picture everything, and
it always makes me go back and look things up!"
    So keep on pitching, and keep on catching.  That's what life is all
about!
---Dawn Kersula RN, FACCE,IBCLC in Southern Vermont who is pitching you all
a bouquet for the holidays.  Peace on earth, Good Will!!!