From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:39:45 -0500
I like the idea.  But for me, it keeps coming back to how hard pumping
is for most women.  If the baby isn't able to suck well/properly, then
pumping is necessary, but if the baby is able to, I'd skip the pumping
part and say:

" Sometimes a mother's milk comes in a few days later than normal.  This
can
> happen when: (INSERT CHECK LIST OF KNOWN RISK FACTORS AND CHECK OFF THE
> MOMS
> SPECIFICS or PUT IN A BLANK LINE AND WRITE IN HER SPECIFIC RISK FACTORS)
>
>  If that happens, the baby may lose a bit more weight than usual, and
> will
> become sleepy at breast.  The baby then may not be able to stimulate the
> breasts enough to bring in the milk.  To make enough milk a woman's
> breasts
> must be well stimulated during Weeks 1,2 and 3.
>
> To bring in your milk, we'd like you to make sure that your baby nurses
> well, at least every _____ hours, _____ times per day plus any other
> times they are showing a desire to suck.

>  << Feed the baby formula if  the baby loses ________ oz of weight or
> doesn't
> have 3-4 yellow poops a day by Day 3-4.>>

I'd instead say, if the baby looses _____ oz of weight or doesn't have
4-5 yellow poops a day by Day 3-4, the baby needs some formula until
your milk comes in.  To insure that your breasts are stimulated
adequately, nurse the baby, then fill the supplementer <educate on how
to use SNS> and nurse as long as baby desires.

<<
> Supplementation on Day 1---------------
> Supplementation on Day 2 ________
> Supplementation on Day 3_________
> Supplementation on Day 4_________
> Supplementation on Day 5_________
> (write in physiologic volumes for those days)
>
> A short delay in the milk coming in is a TEMPORARY  problem.  You will
> still
> be able to breastfeed. >>

Exactly......I'd only encourage the pumping thing if the baby
couldn't/wouldn't nurse.    I wish I could express well,  the
frustration and sadness I hear from mom's when they've been to see the
LC are are trying to follow the protocol given them, incl pumping post
feeds.  I get their calls when they're ready to give up b/c they can't
pump and care for a nb and their other children.

ime, *if* the baby is nursing well, there's almost always a nonpumping
solution that works well and easier.

Just my .02

:)
katherine in atl