From:
doulamary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:24:35 -0500
Good Monday Wise Ones,
I spoke w/ a woman last night who is experiencing nightsweats. They began in
her first pregnancy then disappeared, her second pregnancy she did not
experience them but immediately in her postpartum time they began and have
been continuing for 10 months. There seems to be no set "pattern". She might
go a month w/out having them but then it returns for several weeks then
stops. She described the nightsweats as being so severe she must change her
cloths and the bedding. She was wondering if it could be nursing
related..low estrogen?

What is concerning about this situation, mom was diagnosed w/ Hodgkin's in
1989 at the age of 19 years old. She went into remission in 1991 and has
been fine since. She has already seen her oncologists who gave her a clean
bill of health.

Today she is seeing her OB, who on the phone said he wasn't concerned.
Another complaint is excessive vaginal dryness, and no arousal fluid during
intercourse...which indicates to me low estrogen. I stressed however, that
should not concern her for it is normal during breastfeeding. I suggested
adding soy to her diet and consider taking Vitex also. What am I missing?
Has anyone heard of nightsweats during breastfeeding? Thank you in advance
for your knowledge!

Mary Anderson, Doula
Breastfeeding advocate.