From:
"Krainz, Mary Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:25:06 -0600
Katherine writes----
Since corn is a common allergen, it's possible that a
statistically significant number of the babies also were reacting to the
corn.

My 2 cents worth. Last week a lay midwife who delivers the Amish and
Mennonite mothers told me she had read that cows that are eating corn can
cause allergy symptoms in the breastfeed baby. She suggests to her clients
that if the baby is fussy the mother only drinks milk from cows that are
only on hay. She claims this helps. I mentioned that to my farming friends
and they say that it has only been since the 1950's or so that farmers have
fed cows large amounts of corn and corn silage. Maybe some of the allergies
we are seeing now and we think of as dairy allergies is really from the
corn. Unfortunately even organic milk or formula would have been gotten from
corn fed cows. Mary Ann in central WI