From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:34:51 -0500
At 11:16 PM 3/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>Her areola was large (4cms >diameter) and her nipples rather flat
>
>Okay,
>      So I admit it, I immediately whipped out my ruler... 4cm seemed pretty
>small to me... we are talking entire darkened skin surrounding the

ROTFLMAO!! Yep, me too. And considering my own are a 'mere'  7 cm in
diameter, and considering I have those very very small nipples and soft
breasts everyone here has been talking about lately....

I have to say I must have been extremely lucky.

I have also never had to assist anyone with this type of breast with latch-
the only problem I have seen IME, and in my personal experience as well,
was prolonged soreness despite *excellent* positioning. No cracking or
anything, just soreness which I attributed to the flat nipple being
'shaped' by baby's palate for the first weeks.  This soreness is
characterized by the fact that it is only with *initial* latch, and
disappears as soon as a let down occurs.

One thing I have to say about the latch difficulties being discussed WRT
this 'type' of breast is that *no one* needs to tell these babies that it
should be any different. In other words, I feel it VERY important *not* to
place fingers, pacifiers, bottles, nipple shields, etc. in these babies
mouths.   I think many of the 'troubles' being seen is due to the fact that
a certain 'type' of breast is considered 'normal.'  I just don't buy it.  I
never thought my nipples were 'abnormal' or too small before I heard that
our local IBCLC had told a few of my moms in the hospital that their
nipples were 'small and flat' and that babies, 'have trouble' with these
nipples.

AAAARRRGGHH!    This same LC does oral exams on newborns (checking for high
palate, nice tongue rolling, etc.) and I feel it may be contributing to any
'problems' these babies are having.   Any thoughts folks?  I'm interested
since this discussion has been going on regarding those of us with 'large
soft breasts and tiny nipples....' and difficulty latching.

Heidi Murphy
Peer Counselor, BSN Student