Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:37:21 EDT

Kathy says:

<<Personal use pumps are  considered single user items by the US Food and
Drug Administration. This  means they are meant for one mother only due
to possible cross contamination  of germs. Medela's pumps are an open
system of tubing which means that the  air and milk can mix. You often
see condensation in the tubing, especially  with Symphony pumps. Check
the FDA web site about a NICU baby that was  harmed by bacteria growing
in this tubing (it was cultured from the tubing).  I do not know the web
site address but it is a matter of public  record.>>

One wonders with all this if it  is safe for a woman to use her pump on
Tuesday and then use it again on  Friday.  After all, if there is bacteria, there
is bacteria, and if it  comes from the air, as Kathy suggested, why would it be
safe for the mother  herself to use?  Or why would it be safe for her to use
with baby number  one, and then again with baby number two?  Is that any safer
for baby  number two than for her to loan it to her sister?

From a legal/ethical perspective,  I cannot recommend the trading of pumps
back and forth from person to person,  but when one pays over $300 for a piece
of equipment that may have been used  only a few times, the mother doesn't
"get" why she can't loan it to a  friend....

Biggest problem I see is the  pump's efficacy plummets, and as Kathy pointed
out, the mother then blames her  milk supply and her body rather than the pump.

Jan  Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
_My blog_ (http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)