From:
Rachel Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:47:08 -0400
Hello all - this is my first post so I'll introduce myself.  My name is
Rachel.  I'm a non-RN LC working at a NYC hospital, and I have a private
practice in NJ as well.

I agree that hospitals are ridiculously understaffed, and many hospitals
can't or won't provide LC care.  However, as an LC in a large Manhattan
Hospital, I have
to say that it IS possible to make changes if enough of the admin. and staff
are supportive.  In my 6 years at the hospital, we have gone from having one
part-time LC, to 5.  We had coverage 2 day shifts a week, now we have 4 day
shifts per week (including weekends). We have 1 evening shift per week, and
are about to add a 2nd evening shift (hurray!)
In addition, we offer a breastfeeding class on the floor 4 days per week.
Any mother who attends our class is called at home within 1 week of
discharge for follow up.

It is true that our days can be absolutely crazy - we cover maternity, L&D,
NICU, and PICU.  It is so helpful  that we have so much coverage because we
know that our fellow LC will be in the next day to follow-up with a mother
who needs additional help.

We also offer an ante-partum breastfeeding preparation class 2-3 times per
month.

Two years ago, we opened the Breastfeeding Center of Manhattan,a small
office where we can see mothers after discharge for private appointments
even if they have had their baby elsewhere. We also have a list of resources
so that we can refer mothers to private LCs in NYC.

In addition, we do the education of staff, grand rounds for our residents in
OB/GYN, Family Practice, and Peds. and are working on inservices for our
physicians as well

I am very proud of the changes we have made at the hospital, and it is
reflected in the rate of successful breastfeeding.

Our LC staff is entirely funded by our Parent/Education program.  The
director of our program is the reason for all of these positive changes.
She is a maternity RN with 30 years of hospital practice, and a passionate
LCCE and IBCLC.  Her energy and persistance against the countless obstacles
that you all know  are present in any hospital has made this possible.

Please don't assume that changes can't be made within our current hospital
systems - there are always going to be obstacles in our profession, but they
can be overcome with persistence.  We all do this for the same purpose, I
think, the mothers and babies.  They need us, and they need to have access
to us, both in the hospital, and when they go home.

--
Rachel Levine, Lactation Consultant, BFA, RLC, IBCLC
Don't think of it as a mother's right to breastfeed - think of it as a