From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 22:23:07 +1000
This is probably not what you wanted to hear, Linda, but I am so angry that
I have to share this.
Mother rang me today (remember I am a Counsellor only so cannot make medical
diagnoses etc). She has breastfed her child for 2 years, the last 9 months
only from one breast as he refused the other.  Has just been diagnosed with
an undisclosed condition requiring medication which she was told meant she
must wean.  The doctor told her to "go cold turkey" so she has not breastfed
for three days.  Now has rock-hard breast and mastitis symptoms.  When I
suggested she should discuss mastitis and antibiotics with her doctor, she
said "Oh no, my doctor said I can't take antibiotics because of my depressed
immune system". Great! a recipe for masitis and an inbuilt denial of the
most effective treatment.  Did she really have to wean at all, I wonder?
Lesley McBurney, Australia