Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:23:02 -0500
A mom just called and her areola began hurting when her 2 1/2 month old was
feeding on Saturday.  On Friday all was fine, not even a suggestion of
soreness.  Then on Sat. it began to hurt, and now it is red, swolen, and
there is dark blood under the skin, that gets onto breast pads.  Someone
told her that her baby's gums seem "sharp."

The soreness is only where his top gum is against the areola, and the
nipples aren't very sore.

I asked about gassiness and he has been more gassy since Sat too.  I asked
if she had eaten anything unusual on Friday, and she had had more tomatoes
and spicy foods and more garlic Thursday evening and Friday.  So I thought
that baby might have been in GI distress and found relief by grinding his
"teeth."

What are some ideas?

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee