From:
Jeannette Crenshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 10:04:13 -0600
One more question! (for today)  I have numerous references for three hour
fasting for breastfeeding babies before OR, but does anyone have a reference
for the two hour fasting refered to by Dr. Eglash? Thanks, Jeannette

PS  I have been spurred on to find this reference because of a pediatric
surgeon at a local childrens'hospital requiring 7 1/2 hours of fasting
preoperatively.  The baby was 10 months old.  When the mother questioned him
a suggested that research may indicate shorter fasting times and that her
baby would be hysterical fasting for that long, his response was " Well, it
is better than aspiration pneumonia and death."  When the mother called me,
in tears, I suggested she try to reach anesthesia department.  She was able
to get to nurse her baby up to four hours before--and if absolutely
necessary, up to three hours before, but the anesthetist preferred four hours.

Thanks for listening.  Jeannette