From:
Terriann Shell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 01:44:52 EST
In looking for research for pumping guidelines for multiples, I found
that there is almost nothing!

Paula Maier says that you should examine how much milk the mother needs
when the baby (ies) go home.  I think my notes says that if mom should be
pumping 500 cc/day/baby,  the goal for triplets would be 1500cc/ day.  So
she should pump as often as possible to reach that goal.

Peter Hartmann's research suggests that the more often the breastmilk is
removed, the faster it will be produced.  So that says to me that the mom
should be pumping very often to reach her volume goal.

Back to Paula Maier- She suggests that moms of premies pump until two
minutes past the last drops of milk for the greastest stimulation and to
get the highest calorie milk.

This should get the mom to the place where she will be pumping as many
times as the babies will be nursing (if her goal is total breastfeeding
for all three babies).

Terriann Shell
mailto:[log in to unmask]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]