From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:33:55 +1100
Morgan,
I will pass onto you a paper written by the well-known and foundational
attachment researcher Mary Ainsworth that describes how abrupt weaning of a
toddler can have a sustained negaitve impact on the child-mother
relationship. I also have a book chapter (hopefully soon to be published)
describing how toddlers use breastfeeding as an attachment behaviour (the
reason why abrupt weaning is so potentially damaging). However, I was
wondering if anyone here might be able to assist me in tracking down more
details on the Ainsworth paper? I found it via Eric and I suspect that it
may be a conference paper but don't know. Mary Ainsworth may have also
presented the results (describing the child's response to abrupt weaning) in
one of her many papers/books so if anyone is aware of any other sources for
this research I would appreciate hearing about it.
The Eric ref is Ainsworth, M. D.S., and B. I. Tracey. "Infant Feeding and
Attachment." ERIC ED089847 (1972).
Karleen Gribble
Australia