From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:55:02 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,
I sent this to Lactnet 9 days ago, and got one very good response. Has any
one of the rest of you seen inverted nipples occurring during lactation for
any reason? It sounds suspicious. Please let me know if you would be worried
about this, have had any experience with this type of problem, or have any
suggestions for this mom. I believe she lives in the San Francisco area so
if anyone has the name of a physician in that area who is knowledgeable
about breast problems, could you write to me off list? Thanks so much.
Ann Calandro, BSN, RNC, IBCLC
____________________________

A friend who answers questions for an Inflammatory Breast Cancer help list
received this question from a breastfeeding mother. She got permission from
this mother for me to post her question to our list. We would appreciate any
thoughts you might have for this mother. I have encouraged my friend to talk
to this mother about getting another opinion, as this is a problem I have
not seen before in a breastfeeding mother. Thank you.
Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC
________________________
Hello,
 My name is ***** and last week I received the email with the story about
IBC (inflammatory breast cancer).  My mom (adoptive mother) had invasive
carcinoma so of course now I am freaked out by the symptoms I have been
having.
 A little history : When I was pregnant with my son my nipple on my left
breast started to invert.  When he was born I had my first bout of mastitis
when he was 5 days old.  Since then the nipple has inverted so much that I
have to press it out (it usually goes right back in) for him to latch on.
Since his birth in June 2005 I have had a case of mastitis in my left breast
10 months out of 12.  Only once have I been on antibiotics...the rest of the
time I nursed frequently on the affected  side and it went away in 3 or 4
days.  My doctor sent me for an ultrasound which came back clear and to a
surgeon here at ****.  He made me feel very silly coming in stating that if
my nipple was inverting because of cancer I would be in really bad shape and
I would know that something was wrong  (I guess meaning I would have a lot
of other problems too???)  I have had  a few problems with the other breast
(3 or 4 cases of mastitis) but no nipple inversion or anything.  I am still
breastfeeding with no plans to  wean right now.  I am just looking for some
opinions on my history and would appreciate any  advice that you have for
me.
 Oh and I forgot to add...I actually have been on weight watchers and lost
30 lbs. and the left breast is not bigger than the right.    After the
nipple started to invert ...I don't know how to explain but sometimes it
just looks weird to me.  I am going to make another appointment with my PCP
(she was very aggressive about helping me last time as she had breast
 cancer when she was young). I am not wanting to wean anytime soon but the
pain is really starting me to think about it.