From:
Lydia de Raad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:03:48 +0200
> If you are comfortable sharing with us, is there a reason you have decided
> *not* to go for IBCLC?  I am curious to know how the IBCLC exam is
> perceived, by those who don't have it, but clearly have a demonstrated
> interest in breastfeeding promotion and management.

---Elizabeth, although I am not Nicki, I feel the need to answer your
question for myself :-) I am a longterm (over 10 yrs) LLL-leader and have
worked on many publications in Dutch, including the Womanly Art and the
Breastfeeding Answer Book. In all those years people told me: taking the
exam would be peanuts for you.........and if I didn't respond, the nex
remark would be: so you would finally be a réal LC.
Well. That's what it is to me: I feel real already :-)

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the Netherlands the LC is
not a "real" (official registered medical) profession, it is seen as
"alternative treatment", like homeopathy for instance. Nevertheless most
LC's come from a medical background, i.e. nurses, midwives etc. I am not
always enthousiastic about their counselling skills, but besides that I see
and feel that LC's medicalize something that should be normal. If you have A
Problem, you go to an LC. If you breastfeed, or are pregnant and want to
breastfeed, you go to an LC. Eeeeeeeh........breastfeeding and problems are
not in the same sentence to me :-)

I strongly believe in the connecting power of women in the same episode of
their lives: mother-to-mother-support. I am not a great believer in HCP's
telling mothers what to do. What is, unfortunately, what I often see in
LC's. Here. I hope it's better elsewhere.

Lydia, LLL, Netherlands
~~~ The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures
the disease. - Voltaire~~