Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:49:31 +0000
>  >Why would she have her prolactin
>>levels tested on day one?
>
>Sorry, pregnant lady not making herself clear AGAIN! lol.  Not from day one,
>she was having supply troubles in the beginning, baby was doing ok at the
>breast, but she never could feel a let down.  Went to a check up for the
>babe and was told that he wasn't gaining well enough and they actually
>suggested that she move totally to formula.  She was completely against this
>so she decided to supplement for a wile with an SNS.  She pumped in addition
>to nursing on demand and could only get about 2-4 ounces a DAY.  So after
>talking with her dr., they tested her prolactin.  That's when she was told
>that the levels were terribly low.  Does that make more sense?  Also she's
>been tested for placental particles, nothing was found, her menses have
>returned.

Thanks Melisa - and best wishes with the baby!

I am still sticking to my original thoughts - if this baby was
supplemented early, then this is the most likely factor to have
affected her supply. Testing prolactin after the first few days or so
will show 'low' levels - see graphs in Riordan and Auerbach. After a
month, according to studies in R&A, prolactin levels are not related
to milk production. So we're back to mismanagement of early
breastfeeding, not hormone levels.

We have health advisers here whose first thought when confronted with
a poorly gaining baby is to move 'totally' to formula  - so they
could well not know how to interpret what they were measuring when
they checked prolactin levels at any stage : (

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK