From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:55:53 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

I wonder how our precious babies will survive being raised with factory
methods: pacifiers, bouncy seats, white noise machines, swings, Babywise,
carried in car seats instead of arms, allowed to cry for 5 hours a day
("this is normal")...etc. etc.

After teaching infant massage classes for years, I understand why mothers
use these aides. Mothers need them because they are living in isolation with
a baby, and perhaps with other children too. It truly takes a village to
raise a child. If a mother needs a break to go take a shower or be alone for
a while or do something else, she used to be able to hand the baby off to
her mother or sister or a neighbor, who might even have nursed that baby for
her. The mother didn't have to provide every single second of care and
attention that the newborn received.

I believe this is because humans developed in Africa, where humans lived in
small groups that made gathering food and protecting themselves easier. Our
babies are still expecting that African environment when they are born.

Mothers use all these aides because they aren't living with anybody else to
help them with their new baby. Mothers need a break; most of them can't get
it. This is progress???

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC
craniosacral therapy practitioner