From:
Paula Bermingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:27:15 -0700
To all Lactnetters -

Has anyone experience with obtaining human milk from a milk bank. I have
*always heard* it's available with a prescription. (I used to live in San
Jose) But, until now I never actually offered this possible suggestion to a
particular mom, but that changed this weekend.

Mom does have insurance with a prescription plan. Do many of them cover this?

This mom has twins, now almost four months old. She intended to breastfeed
but was overwhelmed and thought all would be OK. Then, each baby started
projectile vomiting and each has been through surgery for pyloric stenosis.

Nutramagen seemed more upsetting that the soy ABM so she's back to that. And
she's attempting to relactate with chlorpromazine (hope I'm right on that
drug/spelling). For some reason the HCP used that instead of the
metaclopromide. And she did receive a two week supply of the chlorpromazine
(?) with two refills. I've never worked with a mom taking this med...or with
the potential to be taking a drug (for this) for more than 10 days or so.

The closest milk bank to our county is in San Jose Calif. Does the MD need
to write anything special for a script like this (for human milk) to *be
approved*. IS there an approval process? Are there agencies or organizations
that would help transport milk over 200 miles if she opts for donor milk, if
it is indeed a possibility?

Any thoughts on this would be gladly appreciated.

Paula Bermingham, IBCLC
WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator
Lake County Calif.