Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:08:11 PDT
Mira - you wrote:-

I finally saw mom & baby today. They spent three hours with me.
(For those of you just back from Boca - short summary ; baby two months
old, very slow weight gain, disorganized suck, no real treatment so far.
Was seen by LC, but only phone consultation with me. Mom didn't pump so
far. Two older children bf OK.)........
1. Feed the baby - keep nursing frequently and trying feeding tube device
with breast or finger, but if this doesn't work - bottle after nursings.
2.Suck training - try to get baby used to finger, and to learn to pull it
deep into her mouth. (After trying here for a while there was improvement.)
3.Express or pump milk after feedings, at least 6-8 times a day. Feed this
to baby at next feed, after breast, before formula.
4. Mom will consider fenugreek or Domperidone - she isn't sure she wants to
take drugs.

Mira - have you considered cup feeding? This baby seems to be very orally
defensive, not allowing anything *IN* her mouth at all for very long. Feeding
with a cup would allow her to drink at her own pace without having to be
defensive, and might provide the time necessary for her to get over whatever
it was that caused that behaviour in the first place. Just a thought!

Norma Ritter IBCLC
Breastfeeding Matters
"If I am not for myself, who will then be for me? But if I am only for myself,
what am I ? And if not now, when?" R.Hillel