From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:06:17 -0700
>We're experiencing the influz of parents using the Babywise method and I
>remember some talk in the past about this method and a criticism by Dr. James
>Dobson.  I may be wrong on this but if anyone has some of the ways to help
>these parents and their biblical approach to strict parenting let me know.  I
>did put in a search to the lactnet library but I thought I'd check with the
>group.

Linda,
Yes, Focus on the Family does have a statement regarding these books.  I
will quote from the applicable parts of the letter that I received back
from them regarding their position, dated 9/12/96:

"We do have concerns and reservations about the Ezzo's work, including
the updated edition of PREPARATION FOR PARENTING. We are aware that some
of the author's proposals--- notably those having to do with controlled
feeding schedules for infants-- are controversial. Some critics have
suggested that they might possbily result in child abuse if applied
legalistically, inflexibly, and without regard for circumstnaces and the
speical needs of individual children, though we believe such misuses
would be contrary to the authors' intent. For these reasons we do not
recommend this material to our constituents. further, we would sugest
that, if and when it is used, its principles be implemented only in
conjunction with generous measures of common sense, intuition, and
natural parental affection."

FOF has not given me permission to copy this letter in its entirety, but
you can obtain your own copy by writing or calling them yourself.  Rumor
has it that Focus is now working on their own parenting book/curricula,
trying to take the best from each "method".  My one concern is that
Shirley Dobson did not breastfeed her own children, and that this may be
a blind spot for them in what they develop regarding breastfeeding.  I'd
sure like to see some Christian LC's in on that project!

Another excellent resource is a theological critique written by Rebecca
Prewett and available online at http://www.fix.net./~rprewett ---> Family
Issues Page ---> Biblical Discernment, Ezzos.  Though it deals with the
3rd edition (they have a 4th and 5th one now), the Ezzos have not
retracted any of their previous material and in fact continue to defend
it, so I and others believe the critique still stands. Major differences
since 3rd edition?  Removal of erroneous citations (leaving material left
unsupported), addition of more info on how to tell if your baby is not
thriving (wet diapers only), and a few other cosmetic changes; the stated
intent remains. There are several other excellent articles available on
her site as well to address many of the concerns that we all have had. I
recently wrote an article that will soon appear at this site regarding
the evidence for schedule vs demand feeding, and am happy to share it
with anyone who emails me privately.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, LLLL, IBCLC