From:
Jennifer Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 01:04:01 -0500
Did anyone hear Ray Suarz's Talk of the Nation on Breastfeeding today?  I
know sometimes his programs are heard around the world, but this would
basically be for anyone who listens to National Public Radio (mostly North
Americans).  Anyway, he had on 2 MDs, one the author of Milk, Money, and
Madness.  Basically the show was excellent, they kept emphasising the
importance of getting help, from a qualified person like a Lactation
consultant, an MD (although they said many are not trained to handle
breastfeeding problems), La Leche league etc.  I hit my redial button
repeatedly, but couldn't get thru!!  They talked about formula companies
making huge profits, and touched on extended breastfeeding.  One of the
physicians did an eloquent job of explaining how a child's immune system is
not fully developed for "several years", and really countered one callers
negative comments about his wife breastfeeding a child until age 2 1/2.  They
never really got a chance to outline the many benefits of breastfeeding, but
Ray Suarez kept talking about the substantial and compelling evidence to
support its superiority.
I would be curious to hear what others thought.  There is a number you can
call to get a taped transcript of the program, but I wasn't fast enought to
write it down.  You could listen to the end of his show tomorrow, or call
your public radio station to ask for the number.
Jennifer Myers Coombs, PA-C