Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:17:38 -0600
Perhaps this boss is a fan of the Cochrane collaboration. If so, the Cochrane
review by Donnelly, Snowden, Renfrew, & Woolridge entitled "Commercial
hospital discharge packs for breastfeeding women" may be particularly handy in
pleading your case against commercial discharge packs. The main results read:

"The meta-analysis showed that when comparing commercial discharge packs with
any of the controls (no intervention, non-commercial pack or combinations of
these), exclusive breastfeeding was reduced at all time points in the presence
of commercial hospital discharge packs. There was no evidence to support the
conjecture that use of hospital discharge packs causes the eraly termination
of non-exclusive breastfeeding. Where the introduction of solid food was
measured, giving a commercial pack (with or without formula) reduced the time
before solid food was introduced."

Personally, I would focus on the first sentence that asserts that commercial
discharge packs have been found to have a negative impact on the duration of
exclusive breastfeeding.

Dru Antoniuk
BA, MA, current BScN student (the light at the end of the tunnel is getting
closer FINALLY), and mama to two wonderful little girls