Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:30:21 -0600
At 10:33 AM 1/10/02 EST, you wrote:
>In light of what Pat wrote below, what then happens to breastmilk that is
>bottle fed?  the baby who exclusively is bottle fed breastmilk?
>
>I find this important when so many moms think that rather than try to get
>baby to breast whose having problems the "perfect" solution is to bottle
feed
>expressed milk.  (Am aware of other missing components to bottle feeding
EBM
>and share these with moms; also aware of rare times when this is only
method
>possible and certainly better than ABM).

I suspected that someone would ask this question. Unfortunately, I have a
number of mothers who choose to pump and feed expressed breastmilk in a
bottle. They usually find it necessary to give more volume than the mothers
who are working and who breastfeed when they are at home.

From an opinion (not evidence based) I recommend that those who are not
feeding the baby at the breast at all to, several times a day, put baby's
mouth on the breast or take saliva if baby refuses to even put a mouth on
the nipple and apply the saliva to the nipples.

I don't know if this step is adequate for nutritional programming but I
suggest that it may help and it certainly won't harm. After this suggestion
and with their following it, they work much harder to breastfeed the next
baby. This understanding is just one more benefit of feeding from the
source--besides pumping becoming a bore after a while.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]