From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:52:00 +1100
Not quite what you were asking for but not far off...
Karleen Gribble
Australia

Li, R., S. B. Fein, et al. (2008). "Association of breastfeeding intensity
and bottle-emptying behaviors at early infancy with infants' risk for excess
weight at late infancy." Pediatrics 122 Suppl 2: S77-84.

OBJECTIVE: Our goal was to test the hypothesis that infants who were
breastfed more intensively during early infancy (< or = 6 months) will be
less likely to have excess weight during late infancy (> 6 months) and to
examine the independent impact of infant-initiated bottle emptying and
mothers' encouragement of bottle emptying on infants' risk for excess
weight. METHOD: The sample consisted of 1896 mothers who participated in
postpartum surveys of the Infant Feeding Practice Study II and who provided
at least 1 weight measurement of their infants during the second half of
infancy. We used multiple logistic regression models to assess the
association between infants' risks for excess weight during the second half
of infancy and 3 self-reported feeding practices during the first half of
infancy after adjusting for a series of sociodemographic characteristics.
The early feeding practices examined included the percentage of all milk
feedings in which infants consumed breast milk (breastfeeding intensity),
the frequency of bottle feedings in which infants initiated bottle emptying,
and the frequency of bottle feedings in which mothers encouraged bottle
emptying. RESULTS: Infants fed with low (< 20% of milk feeds being breast
milk) and medium (20%-80%) breastfeeding intensity in the first half of
infancy were at least 2 times more likely to have excess weight during the
second half of infancy than those breastfed at high intensity (> 80%).
Infants who often emptied bottles in early infancy were 69% more likely than
those who rarely emptied bottles to have excess weight during late infancy.
However, mothers' encouragement of bottle emptying was negatively associated
with their infants' risk for excess weight during the second half of
infancy. CONCLUSIONS: Infants' risk for excess weight during late infancy
was negatively associated with breastfeeding intensity but positively
associated with infant-initiated bottle emptying during early infancy. These
findings not only provide evidence for the potential risk of not
breastfeeding or breastfeeding at a low intensity in development of
childhood obesity, but they also suggest that infant-initiated bottle
emptying may be an independent risk factor as well.