From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:16:42 -0500
Oh this is fascinating stuff!

To quote from the article:
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050307_gender_milk.html

>But obtaining milk from non-domesticated animals is a daunting task.
To collect samples, Landete-Castillejos, of the University of
Castilla-La Mancha, Spain and his collaborators had to anaesthetize
the deer mothers. They did this seven separate times while the mothers
were lactating.<

Hmm...

I can imagine the difficulties involved when dealing with wild
animals, but that does not negate the fact that we would all be
jumping down the researchers' throats if they considered this to be a
fair sampling of HUMAN milk.
When did they collect the milk? Begining, middle of end of a feeding?
How often do reindeer nurse their babies? For how long?

I was really suurprised at the last comment:
>"We are trying to get access to human milk, but it is not easy,"
Landete-Castillejos said.<

I would have thought that getting human milk was a whole lot easier
than undomesticated animals. Imagine trying to attach a pump to a
seal!

norma