From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:04:43 -0500
I'm finding this thread on pacifiers interesting, especially today when I seem to be the target of a pacifier-enthusiast.  I put up colorful signs last week in the bathrooms of all three units, labor and delivery, postpartum and SCN.  The signs were the top ten reasons not to use pacifiers with
normal breastfeeding newborns, in the spirit of David Letterman.  I thought this was better than just a dull note.  2 of them disappeared 2 days later.  Not to be deterred, on Friday, I reprinted new ones and attached post-it notes (taped on) saying not to remove them and to come talk to me if there
was a problem.  I also referred them to our breastfeeding policy, which specifically addresses pacifier use.  This morning (Monday) I came in and one sign is gone again and my little note has been ripped off one of the remaining signs.  I'm checking schedules to see who might be responsible and
talking to manager,(if I ever find her!), but sheesh, how childish!  I'm now going to post some of the research along with *another* sign.

Marsha, who is feeling a little attacked today in chilly Indiana

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.John S. C. Abbot