From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 10:40:15 +0100
Replying to Denise's questions again, echoed by Rachel, this time
concerning the co-author of _that_ study, (Flaherman, V. J., Aby, J.,
Burgos, A. E., Lee, K. A., Cabana, M. D. & Newman, T. B.  Effect of
Early Limited Formula on Duration and Exclusivity of Breastfeeding in
At-Risk Infants: An RCT. Pediatrics. Published online May 13, 2013
doi: 10.1542/peds.2012-2809
at
<http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/05/08/peds.2012-2809.abstract>http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/05/08/peds.2012-2809.abstract
) I just heard from our friend Valerie McClain that the listed
co-author Cabana MD is Dr Michael D Cabana from California UCSF.  He
was/is the lead investigator to several of Nestle's clinical trials
on infant formula - one is a starter formula.  You can read all about
it
at
<http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01079208>http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01079208
She also raises the question about how likely it was that his
co-researchers did not know of his involvement with Nestle?   My
gratitude to Valerie for her dedication, persistence and skill in
finding out about these kinds of connections.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England
Denise wrote.............I'm not exactly sure which coauthor is
connected to the formula industry or how, but it was reported out by
both the LA times and The Huffington Post (not exactly primary sources.

Rachel wrote........I don't see any mention of ties to industry under
'author affiliations'. Denise, can you be more specific about which
author you mean, and what those ties are?