From:
Michelle I Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:26:21 -0400
Dear lactnetters, I know mastitis treatments, and have had quite a few clients over this past summer with persistent yeast and mastitis.  BUT now I have a client whose baby is 4.5 mo, she is on her 6th bout with mastitis, and being treated with zithromax ("double dose") X10 d.  She says she is thinking of weaning since each infection brings on flu-like symptoms and she can hardly care for her baby, nevermind her special needs 6yo.
   She eats very well with decreased carbohydrates, lots of vegetables, fruit, meat, and modest dairy intake.She takes a prenatal vit, acidophilous, and echinacea.   She understands the connection between mastitis and rest, and she really is resting.   The mastitis seems to come when the baby feeds erratically (its her style!), but her plentiful milk supply ends up backing up, and voila, another infection.
  Oh wise and wonderful colleagues, what words of wisdom may I share with her?  Quickly before she weans!   michelle scott, MA,RD,IBCLC working as LC in a pedi office PT