From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:46:13 -0500
Someone from our South (Laurie?  Karen?) told me years ago about using "spinning" to break a strike.  I misunderstood her, and explained it to the mother of a toddler.  Her interpretation of my misinterpretation was to stand in the middle of the room, shirt up or off, holding her toddler in something approaching a nursing position.  She S-P-U-N as hard as she could in one direction, stopped when she got too dizzy, and S-P-U-N as hard as she could in the other direction.  He latched on and never looked back.  When I told whoever it was (Karen?  Laurie?), she laughed and said, "That's not what I suggested, though."  Apparently the idea is that mother sits in an office chair holding the baby, and someone *gently* twirls the chair, not fast and certainly not hard enough for her to get more than just a little dizzy.  Ah well...

As I understand it (thought clearly my understanding is minimal), the idea is that you disorient the baby enough to "take him back down to baseline," where he operates from instinct.  A friend with a neurologically compromised child says they use spinning to help him organize himself.  If anyone knows more about this, I'd love to hear it.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com