From:
Debbie Codding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 23:39:43 -0700
You know, I must say I was gung ho on discouraging the scissors hold until
a couple of years ago, someone asked me why it was so common to see our new
moms doing it.  As in - it must be some sort of reflex it is so common.  So
I started really paying attention and not saying anything to the mom until
AFTER she latched (unless it was really bad) and sure enough the vast
majority of moms will use the scissors hold.  I found this to be true on
myself with my second baby.  It was more comfortable to latch my newborn on
and I found that it distorted my nipple to a perfect fit.  Most of the moms
who use the scissors hold let go as soon as baby is latched which for a
properly positioned baby with good tone is fine (this doesn't apply to very
large breasted mommies).

With the C hold, I see two things happen almost every time.  1.  mom will
have thumb way back but index finger almost at base of nipple - which has
the effect of pointing nipple down and blocking babies access.  2.  moms
actually aren't using a C hold, it is more of a "U" which, if mom is
squeezing too hard with thumb and index finger, turns the nipple into a
square peg which they then try to fit into a round hole.

I suggest trying my experiment (on your self right now) to see what I mean
if you haven't already seen it.  Next, watch moms like I did.  I had laid
down the law with the nursing staff but this was one of those epiphanies
where I had to eat my words.  "Okay maybe the scissors hold could be okay
but let's teach the C hold if mom looks like she needs help".  The scissors
hold done for no other reason than totally subconscious is actually a much
better hold than a C hold.  If mom is doing the scissors hold because of a
reason like baby can't breath, it is usually worse than the C hold.  If I
have to intervene and teach them something, I teach the C hold.  But these
days I hardly intervene - heck I don't even use the bulb syringe at birth
(shocking to my coworkers! hahahahaha).

Debbie Codding, RNC
Naval Hospital Guam