From:
"carol.lesperance" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 09:21:28 -0500
Hi Everyone! The research on formula discharge packs is conflicting.
Results of some research studies demonstrate no significant difference in
the duration of bf with commercial discharge packs as compared to those who
did not receive one(Evans, 1986 and Feinstein, 1986). In one study women
were given a research discharge pack and compared to women given commercial
discharge packs. Those with research discharge packs were more likely to
prolong breastfeeding than the commercial discharge pack. Bergevin(1983-the
first study in this area, I think.) found that mothers were less likey to
be bf at 1 month and more likely to be giving solid food at 2 months if
they got a commercial pack. These results were more significant if the
mother were less educated and primipara. Feinstein (1986) found that
shorter duration of bf was not related to commercial packs but to formula
supplementation in the nursery.( I haven't read the 1997 study, but will
this week.)

One of the things I learned in Research 101(or somewhere?) was that one
research study does not "prove" anything.It supports or does not support
hypotheses, but it doesn't prove anything.In research, I hope, we are
trying to seek the truth. Only with much research on an issue with one
study building on another do we find the
truth.
Regarding commercial discharge packs, I think the truth is not yet known.
What much research does support is that early supplementation does
effect duration of bf.(There are studies that say no to this also,
but I think the data is strong on the "yes" side. Thus, the guideline in
the "10 Steps") So, perhaps it is not the gift pack itself, but the formula
sample that is the problem. Perhaps, it is not significant for mothers who
are well educated and who have good support systems.
But, I think, the question of to give or not give discharge packs is more
of an ethical issue than a research one. Why should health professionals be
avenues, conduits, representatives of commercial companies of any
kind?????? When you give a mother a commercial pack, you are helping to
advertise and you are endorsing whatever you give that mother. Are you
getting paid for this? Pretty cheap advertising! I think this is true for
any "gift" items that are given to PP moms. Why do we feel we have to give
new  mothers gifts? Is it because we feel guilty because we can't spend
time with them and give them the care we think they should have? I don't
know. This has always puzzled me. Just some food for thought. Any thoughts?
You all are great!
Carol in Albuquerque.