From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:48:03 -0400
Alexis asked for thoughts on the story of the 8 year old nursing:

While my five year old weaned over a year ago, she still sometimes lifts my
shirt spontaneously (in private, of course) just to give a peck to my breast
and says, "Mommy, I love your boobies so much!"  Clearly, she's expressing
the warmth and love she felt from nursing that she still remembers.  At what
age do I have to worry that some man (or woman for that matter) on the bench
would decide it's too "old" for her to be doing this?

I don't like bright lines being drawn.  If the boy were 7, would the court
threaten to remove him?  How about 6 and 1/2?  Maybe someone will get a bee
in his bonnet about co-sleeping and declare that abuse as well.

What's really scary is that, with all the publicity this case has gotten and
all the experts weighing in that nursing an 8 year old is okay (after all
the AAP has no time limit in its statement on breastfeeding!), they're still
threatening to take him away....

Julie Rosen, LLLL in NJ