From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 18:15:39 -0500
Chris Hafner-Eaton writes: Even though Niacin is a water-soluble B vitamin,
Niacin in high doses can cause "niacin flushing."  It is possible that this
flushing may make the mom uncomfortable due to tingling, stinging and even
dizziness.  It is also possible that this could interfear with let-down, but
it certainly IS NOT harmful from the perspective of the baby ingesting niacin.

Just wanted to add my .02 worth here.  My husband tried taking niacin for
his high cholesterol (works for some people) and had these amazing "hot
flashes" that turned him as red as a tomato.  It was so uncomfortable he
could not sit down or do anything really until they subsided.
Theoretically, taking an aspirin (plain ole Bayer aspirin) one hour before
the niacin is supposed to reduce the hot flash greatly, but it didn't work
for him.  My mother, however, has used the aspirin/niacin to lower her
cholesterol with only minimal discomfort from the niacin.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University