Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:20:07 -0500
I disagree with you on that.  Please show me some valid data showing that breast milk was contaminated by the pump.  I have seen data by stem cell researchers showing that the rate of bacterial growth in breast milk was correlated to the method of cleaning of pump equipment, not the pump itself or the mother.  In my hospital we have documented this -  contamination of breast milk came from mothers touching plants or other things that were contaminated, such as faucets, sink, etc. then touching inside of pump or bottles with unwashed hands.  Deliberate attempts to contaminate the milk by pumping with contaminated tubes or pumps did not result in milk contamination.  As for other pumps with so-called closed systems, I have seen them also with milk up in the tubes and down in the piston area from overflows, etc.  Medela's problem is that they have created wonderful, durable products that people share and use over and over that really work well and are research-based (with lots of money going there). They are not FDA approved as a multi-user product and do not want to do that as the price is not based on that, it's not to the best interests of the company to sell LESS product.  It's just like a very good LC.  If you do an excellent job (and everybody cooperates) there will be less need for you - and you MIGHT work yourself out of a job!