From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:44:32 -0600
The biggest predictor for how much knowledge a physician has and how well they
support BF'ing is if they BF themselves (or their spouse) I can't remember
where I read that- The formula companies know this and thats why they will
supply any pregnant physician w/ a yrs supply of formula- this is absolutely
true b/c when I was preg (and not yet that BF saavy) Ross brought me 8 cases
of ready to feed formula (the lrg cans) proud to say I never even opened one!
Well looks like Martek and NY Presby/ Cornell are doing some dirty work too!

Pregnant Physicians For DHA
A Publication of the Nutrition Information Center at New York- Presbyterian
and Weilll Medical College of cornell University

Barbara S. Levine, Ph.D., RD Director

525 East 68th St, Box 38
NY, NY 10021
212 327 7713 tel
212 327 7751 Fax

other members: James P. Hoffman MD, Lawrence Resnick MD, Jane Oski MD, Judith
Shabert MD, MPH, RD, and Susanna Cunningham-Rundles, PhD

funded by Martek Biosciences Corp., the manufacturers of DHASCO a microalgal
source of DHA.

I got this brochure mailed to my house.  It states that women may become
deficient in DHA during gestation as well as during laction and therefore
should supplement themselves.  They also point out the dangers of mercury
poisoning from fish, so a "supplement" is the best way of improving DHA
levels.  Did not mention that there are other foods which have LCPUFA's in
them like egg yolks, red meat etc...

I don't think there is really a group called "Pregnant Physicians for DHA"
its just the name of their newsletter.

Just wanted to bring this to lactnet attention, if anyone feels like "writing"
to the directors at this influential center!

Amy kotler MD