From:
Joanne Whistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:15:32 -0400
Hello everyone,

You may remember that some months ago I asked the list for some ideas about a breastfeeding policy I was hoping to propose at work. The good news is that this is being considered, but the bad news is that the directors have taken most of the positive things out of the policy and I'm feeling very disappointed that the tone of the policy is now quite negative, with very few concessions to the needs of nursing mothers. It's almost worse than not having one at all! The document is to be discussed at a staff/management negotiating committee on 8 September, and I would appreciate people's views on which issues are most likely to be barriers to women in the company successfully combining BF and work.

My main concerns are:
- no company time available for expressing (employees can use flexi-time, but who wants to be away from baby for an extra hour to catch up the time when you've already been separated for many hours?)
- Very negative tone regarding a room to express in for the regional offices "doubtful if a room could be found"
- unnecessarily negative tone / requirements e.g. they provide fridges for staff use anyway, so why not say positively that they can be used to store milk? instead they've said milk must be labelled (why? with what?)

I'm probably going to have to pick my battles here. Some issues are unlikely to arise (e.g. mother wanting to have baby brought to office for feeds), so I won't fight those, but I would like some guidance on which battles to pick and how I can get over the key issue of "why should we pay employees for time spent expressing"

Any ideas very welcome. I have appended the text of my original draft and the much-amended version that has been suggested by management.

Thanks,
Joanne

MY ORIGINAL DRAFT

Policy statement

The [company] recognises the benefits of breastfeeding to mothers and infants and therefore encourages and supports staff members to breastfeed their babies, including upon their return to work. ‘Breastfeeding’ includes expressing milk and the same rights under this policy will apply to members of staff who wish to express milk to give to their baby.

Pregnancy

A pregnant member of staff will be advised that the BDA will support her if she continues to breastfeed after her maternity leave, and should be given a copy of this policy prior to going on maternity leave.

The [company] will provide a copy of the NHS leaflet “Breastfeeding and Work” and the La Leche League publications “Expectant mums information pack” and “Working mums information pack” to the employee before she goes on maternity leave.

Return to work

A risk assessment is carried out for all members of staff returning from maternity leave, to ensure that they and their baby(ies) are protected from work-related risks. For members of staff who plan to continue breastfeeding after their maternity leave, the risk assessment includes questions which aim to ensure they get the appropriate support.

The member of staff and her line manager should agree who will be responsible for performing the risk assessment and who should be given notice of the member of staff’s intention to continue breastfeeding or expressing milk on her return to work.

The risk assessment should be conducted as soon as reasonably practicable following the member of staff’s return from maternity leave, to ensure any support she needs is provided.

Adjustments

The [company] will permit breastfeeding members of staff to take additional breaks of up to one hour per full working day to feed their baby or to express their breast milk. This should be taken in one or more breaks during the working day, and not used to shorten the overall length of the working day.

Where possible, the [company] will make available a private, comfortable and appropriately equipped room for breastfeeding employees to feed their baby or express their milk. The room will usually have a chair, electric outlet and a lockable door, and have facilities for hand-washing and cleaning equipment nearby. The room will not be a toilet.

The [company] will provide a fridge for the storage of expressed breast milk and specify a location where expressing equipment can be stored.

Where the [company] cannot make available facilities for breastfeeding or expressing milk for a member of staff because of the constraints of the premises, consideration will be given to requests for temporary flexible and/or homeworking whilst the need to breastfeed or express milk during normal working hours continues. These temporary provisions are separate from the entitlement to request permanent flexible working patterns, which is available to all parents of children under 16 (18 for a disabled child).

THE AMENDED VERSION

The [company] recognises the benefits of breastfeeding to mothers and infants and therefore supports staff members who wish to breastfeed their babies or express milk.

The [company] provides a copy of the HSE “Guide to Expectant Mothers” and members of staff are also advised to read the on-line NHS leaflet “Breastfeeding and Work” if appropriate.

A risk assessment is carried out as soon as possible following the return to work for all members of staff, by their line manager or if preferred the Health & Safety or Human Resources Manager, upon notification of pregnancy and also upon returning from maternity leave, to ensure that they and their baby(ies) are protected from work-related risks. Members of staff who notify the [company] that they are breastfeeding or expressing milk will be asked to complete the additional risk assessment.

Breastfeeding members of staff may take breaks of up to one hour per full working day to express their breast milk using flexible working arrangements subject to agreement with their line manager as appropriate. In general there is a requirement for a private, comfortable room for breastfeeding employees with a chair, electric outlet and have facilities for hand-washing and cleaning equipment nearby. A toilet would not be suitable.  In [the head office] this is likely to be the flat which is a multi-function room which can offer the required privacy, however in the other offices it is doubtful that a room could be provided and it would be necessary to discuss this requirement with the line manager and HR manager to come to a suitable arrangement.

If a member of staff wishes to store breast milk in a company fridge then it must be appropriately labeled.