Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:29:32 -0500
Hi all,

I too teach childbirth classes and have at times shown the "Delivery
Self-Attachment" video.

  In our classes we do encourage moms to first try non-pharmaceutical
forms of pain relief. (breathing tech., position changes, showers, hot
tub)  However few of our moms deliver pain medication "free".

Not gettng into a discussion of medicated vs non-medicated deliveries, I
am sometimes hesitant to show this video.  I am somewhat bothered by the
notation on the video with regards to the majority of medicated and
epidural infants not having the ability to self-attach and those who
did, suckling poorly.  I don't think showing this video will decrease
our use of pain meds or epidural, but could I be discouraging  the moms
who want to breastfeed and find they must use pain medicine in labor?.
Or worse, give them a reason to give up nursing in the first day or two,
simply because the infant doesn't do well.

Does anyone preface this video with any explanations?  Are my fears
totally unfounded?

TIA,
Judy Hatfield, RNC, CCE, IBCLC