Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 21:00:27 +1100
>With regards to the post about persistant breast pain, despite long-term
>and agressive treatment for thrush....
>
>We keep hearing about this.  Is it possible that there is no more
>infection, but rather a residual inflammation/damage and a pain pathway
>that just won't quit?  Saved a post which discussed the temporary use of
>tricyclics to break the pain cycle, was originally posted by Lisa Amir,
>about neuropathic pain syndrome.  Any more info, Lisa?

sorry, not really. Just to say I've used tricyclics for other pain
syndromes - but haven't tried it yet in persistent breast pain.
A couple of other thoughts - could it be a non-albicans candida? may be
resistant to fluconazole, and respond better to ketoconazole (however,
remember there are more side-effects with ketoconazole than fluconazole, ie
raised liver enzymes).
Another thought - any history of allergies? One of my patients had
persistent breast pain, went to see allergy doctor, removed all foods she
had been sensitive to in the past, and voila - no more breast pain!
What we really need is a test that will confirm candida or not - and we
don't have this at present.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia