From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:29:40 -0600

> Liz Brooks defends the acceptance of Lansinoh sponsorship by ILCA even
> though they are a fully owned subsidiary of Pigeon Corp.

Liz writes, "Remember, please, our Economics 101:  a free market
capitalistic economy means a company whose shares (stocks) are publicly
traded cannot in any way restrict who the buyer might be. Stocks are put up
for sale, and the person/entity who is willing to pay the most for them gets
them.  So:  Pigeon bought up the majority of Lansinoh shares.   BUT -- the
corporate structure and governance at Lansinoh remains "firewalled" -- the
same guys that ran that shop when it was bought are still running the
shop."

Economics 101 does in fact teach us about free market economies, Lansinoh
was not a publicly traded company bit a privately held company. Pigeon did
not acquire stocks or buy a majority of shares, they bought the whole
company lock, stock and barrel. The only thing that is firewalled is the
perception that "nothing has changed." Lansinoh is only autonomous as long
as Pigeon allows them to be. and the sames guys will be running the shop
only as long as Pigeon allows them to. As a wholly owned subsidiary,
accepting sponsorship from Lansinoh is equivalent to accepting sponsorship
from Nestle Waters, North America., a wholly owned subsidiary of Nestle,
S.A. which sells no products in violation of the WHO Code.

We cannot forget that this is not about useful products but about marketing
actions which are detrimental to infant health. The Code is a global child
health initiative and we all have a responsibility to support it.

Cathy Liles