From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 19:50:25 -0400
Andrea, I really felt how hurt you were in your response. Please, please
don't feel you need to stop posting. I think what some of the people who
responded were trying to say was that if we didn't have formula, our society
might be more motivated to establish milk banks and provide those
alternatives and make banked milk available when needed. I did read that
people said they would continue to recommend formula in those situations
where it was necessary - as it was in your case. I honestly didn't read
those comments - at least what I saw - as a criticism or condemnation of you
or your situation.

My four children are all grown now, but I know my deepest fear was that
something would happen and I wouldn't be able to breastfeed or would have to
wean early. I can imagine how difficult, painful and stressful this
situation was for you. I am glad that there was a solution (formula) for
your child that helped him grow and thrive, and I also wish that banked milk
had been available for him.

We have a wide range of people posting on Lactnet: IBCLC's, nurses,
physicians, other health care professionals, volunteers and "lay people."
One of the things I cherish about this list is that everyone's contributions
can be valuable, helpful and appreciated - whether they are medical
professionals or volunteers. I found your post valuable for reminding us of
the situations where a mother cannot breastfeed her baby, and of the limited
solutions available to women in that situation. I hope you will be able to
continue to be involved in this list and the discussions.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario