From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:53:58 +0000
Just to add to this, from the aspect of sharing other country info.

Until recently, we were all more or less unaware, that mothers could sue
under the Sex Discrimination Act, for being asked to stop breastfeeding
in commercial premises.

We were all mostly unaware of it, as no one had really mentioned it.
Last year, the UK Gov were asked to provide protection for breastfeeding
in England & Wales, as exists in Scotland. (It's an offence to try and
stop a mother or caregiver, feeding milk to a child two and under, in
any place the child has a right to be.)

In one of their replies, they nonchalantly said "Women have always been
able to sue for this under discrimination of maternity rights in the
SexDiscAct."

It was news to most of us!

However, we're not very happy with it as an answer.  What we want, is
legal protection against harassment: full stop.  Under the SDA
legislation, a mother who is asked to leave premises for breastfeeding,
would have to leave, and then file a private civil claim for
discrimination: and the burden of both proof and procedure, would be on
her.  And it is only in premises where there is someone to sue for
discriminating over provision of goods and services, so it does not
include harassment in public places.

It was also used as a 'blocking' motion on the request to actually make
the harassment an offence.  The UK Gov minister said something like "No
premises would ever ask a breastfeeding mother to leave, as they could
be sued, and they won't risk that."  Ah, yes.  Ah, hell no.

But it has been a useful revelation, in terms of empowering mothers in
England & Wales.  As was the publicity at the time, with said Minister
for State making it clear that breastfeeding in public in England &
Wales could never be classed as indecent, and was perfectly legal.

Morgan Gallagher